Sunday, October 31, 2010

Of Earthworms And Men (And Women)

My household will rescue a drowning earthworm from the gutter and throw them on the lawn, in the garden or whatever if we happen to come across such a situation some times. Not obsessively, but it happens if we're walking along, and spot one.

More often then not, I will find dead ones that are dried out, here and there. Sometimes they're pretty big, and I do wish they didn't have to suffer so to transition. I'll pause a run to rescue a big one. But I guess most people just don't think they're worth the bother.

I now reflect on the reality of the situation! Earthworms. They eat decomposing matter and soil, and output better soil. They improve the environment, and do no damage. They're also a food source for some creatures, and they don't stand a chance against a predator when spotted.

People on the other hand, are very good at destroying the environment, and giving very little back if they even give ANYTHING back, in industrialised society. In the cosmic scheme of things, yes! Everything is equal. But on Earth, for the sake of the Earth, which creature is worth more?

I'd say the worm, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment