Sunday, October 31, 2010

There's Time, And Then There's Distance

How far to the next multiverse, the next galaxy, the next planetary system, the next star, the next planet, the next satellite, the next continent, the next country, the next county, the next district, the next city, the next road, the next home?   What if you live on Tristan da Cunha, and civilisation came crashing to a halt?  No more supply ships?  A bit less than 3,000 kilometres from South Africa, but when the shoit hits da fan, you might as well be on another planet.  

About those multiverses.  Some overlap.  Different dimensions in the same space, but made of different types of matter which goes through you, and you go through it, with neither bein' aware of the other.

Hmmmmm.  Most of my viewers are U.S..  Should I use miles?  Gods, I HATE that measuring system.  It's so. . .stupidly random.  12 inches to a foot?  3 feet to a yard?  A system based on ten makes so much more sense.  Naaaaaah.  Bad enough I had to do the conversions for so much of my book series.  Well, I suppose I didn't HAVE to, but out of some degree of consideration; I did.  Though I don't know why, now that I look back on it.  Caterin' to one country that doesn't really mow my lawn was kind of silly of me, but oh well.  What's done is done.  I'm not goin' to change it.  The only thing I might ever edit that series again for is to fix some spellin' errors that I might not have caught that the bloomin' software switched to U.S. spellin' that I didn't catch.  I already said that in my first post of this blog, however.  And considerin' how sick I am of workin' on it, that's not too likely in the near future.  Maybe the far future.   I suppose I am neurotic enough to do that after I stop bein' such a burnout case from what I've already done.

Went off track again, dammit!  Oh well.  Strange.  Statistical distance, and statistical  time. Places that are comparatively so close in relation to another using this or that reference are as inaccessible as the farthest galaxy according to conditions, though they are on the same planet. Like as a lone individual born and raised in modern Topeka findin'; their way off of Antarctica with only the clothes on their back.

Suddenly I break out in laughter, remembering what my dear mullethead has told me.  Some people would DRIVE to go a half kilometre to do somethin' on a day when the weather was just fine.  So to some, if they had to walk; a half kilometre may be a parsec away.  They can't imagine doin' it.

I don't know what to say.  Gods, I don't even know what to THINK!!!!!!  Well, maybe I do; but it's probably not too advisable to post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment