Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunny, Statistically Warm Winter Day

I did something odd. I actually ran to town, in my street clothes. (Jeans, t-shirt, long sleeved work shirt, denim jacket, scarf, gloves, deerstalker with ear flaps down and tied, and some Apache-style moccasin boots with thick socks. I'd also tied my hair up in a ponytail.) I went pretty fast, and it didn't take me that long. About a half hour.  It was cold, but nothing I couldn't handle, though I had to admit my nose was Hell o' freezin' when I got to my destination.  After all, except for my nose; I generated a Hell of a lot of my own heat.  Half way, I'd tied the jacket around my waist.  If I'd been walkin', I would 'ave needed thermals, but I was runnin', so I didn't.  After all, it was above freezin' point.  I'd wanted a break in the routine, and some time to just think things over all on my own.

I ended up goin' to an ice-cream shop, orderin' a hot chocolate and a banana split with mango, Burgundy cherry and peach ice cream, wishin' to the high heavens they'd had hazelnut, but oh well. I sat at a table in a booth, and watched the people walk by outside, through the window. They were so different from 'my' mullethead. So many of them put so much into themselves, and even the shabbier dressed chicks. . .just about every one of 'em wore ear rings. They all conformed to a 'look', even though some were beyond attractin' anythin' except blood suckin' insects as far as sheer aesthetics went, not that this would have mattered to me.

The world was fallin' apart, and they seemed so unaware. They were still chasin' dollars to pay for useless stuff. I had a few people wave at me through the window when they caught my eye. In my full glory, I would have known exactly what they were thinkin', but as my presently much over-compromised self, I could only guess. Well, whatever.

I knew what motivated people. Status, sex, power, desire for luxury, not necessarily in that order. All my protégé ultimately cared about was knowledge and self-sovereignty, which went hand in hand. She adored me, but if I interfered with her independence, she would have dropped faster than a flamin' raison, despite all the advantages bein' with me had.  (Not that I couldn't talk her out of doin' somethin' really stupid when I was justified in doin' so.  It's happened.  Trust me.)  She wasn't interested in power over others, but she did NOT deal well with someone messin' with what she saw were her rights. She was also a fighter. You did NOT mess with her, considerin' you had to sleep some time. I've also never met anyone who could hold a grudge longer, or who was more vindictive, but hey! As long as it wasn't directed at me or my mentor. . .

She didn't care much for status. She didn't even want to be bothered with people, these days. It would have made her perfectly happy to never see another one of the 'infernal things', as she often called 'em these days. That attitude was goin' to have to change, but that would have to happen on its own. Well, actually, it was a self-delusional frame of mind. (I don't DARE ask when it happens, but on how many occasions did I see her hand a $20.00 to a homeless person? How many times has she even went shoppin', and brought the 'critter' a bag of fruit, veggies you did not have to cook, a half gallon of juice, bread, cold cuts even if she herself didn't eat meat, pastries, and a cup of coffee?) Well, she is empathic and feels sorry for them when she sees them, but at the same time she has no problem with closing herself off completely from them.

Hmmmmm. Sounds a wee like me in my present frame of mind.

Luxury? Her surroundin's didn't matter. She was just as happy in a one room cabin as she was in a mansion. As long as the room temperature was OK, she was fine with it. Fancy stuff didn't impress her. In fact, she thought it was a waste of resources.

Sex? Well, I'm still waiting for a day where I might even start to think about instigatin' it. In fact, I'm glad she's got two of us to keep her entertained, but even that's not a requirement. If I said no more, so it would be. (As if. . .) And sex is NOT why she caught my eye. What attracted me to her were basic common goals, our overlappin' passions and personality traits. (Though the alleged aversion to children and humanity is NOT shared by me. I do NOT prefer sprog properly sauteed on a plate. And I do NOT say that I would still be vegetarian if I did.)  

Then there were all the artistic interests we share and collaborate on.  

Gods, I'm glad we were together. . .again.

Out of time, I wish I could now remember our beginnings; which were before this last life of hers.

I jogged home more slowly, in reverie.  The return trip took a little over 45 minutes.  I think I was figurin' things out.  After I got back, I gave my pony friend the groomin' of his existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment